Making your own Inspirational Black Canvas Art is super easy with just a few easy hints and tricks. Use the free “Reach for Stars” template below or make your own customized message!
You may have noticed that black canvas art is huge right now. From long rectangular canvas to small square ones, inspirational sayings look amazing on black canvas!
Of course, as with every new trend, these inspirational art panels can often come with quite the hefty price tag. No worries, though, you can easily make your own with this super easy tutorial!
Let’s talk about the supplies you’ll need to make an Inspirational Black Canvas Art. One of the most important materials is quality Iron-On Transfer Paper for Dark Fabrics. Notice how I added “quality” to the sentence above? I’m always up for a good deal but when it comes to transfer paper, you pay for what you get!
I got the Iron-On Transfer Paper I used for this project from OnlineLabels.com and love how solid it covers over the black canvas. Honestly, I love the high quality of all their products so it makes sense that their transfer paper is great too!
You can find black canvases at most craft stores and online. I got this 12″ x 12″ panel from Consumer Crafts. I love that store! Also, you’ll need some sort of iron or heat press to adhere the vinyl to the canvas. I loved using my Cricut EasyPress Mini! It allowed me to work on each of the small elements of this image one at a time without overheating any part.
Inspirational Black Canvas Art
- 1 12" x 12" Black Canvas
- 1 sheet Iron-On Transfer Paper for Dark Fabric
- EasyPress Mini
- Free "Reach for Stars" Template (optional, download below)
- BrightPad (optional)
- The first step is deciding on the image you want to put on the black canvas. If you're using your own design, just draw on top of the transfer paper with a black marker. If you'd like to use my "Reach for Stars" design, use a window or a BrightPad to trace it onto the transfer paper with a marker.
- Using a pair of sharp scissors, cut out all the design elements, making sure to cut inside of the black line. Position the design in place on black canvas. Working one at a time, remove the paper backing from each piece. I will warn you that removing the back can be kind of tricky. I suggest pulling on one corner of the transfer paper until the paper tears and then pulling up on that.
- Place a or thin fabric over cut-out image and iron according to the Transfer Paper instructions. I set my EasyPress Mini to the medium setting and pressed each cut-out for only a few seconds.
Reach for the Stars
I hope you enjoy making your own Inspirational Black Canvas Art! As long as your design isn’t too intricate, it’s a super easy way to make an awesome piece of art that will look great in any room.
If you want to cut a more complicated design, I highly suggest getting a Cricut Explore Air 2 or Cricut Maker instead of cutting with scissors. I promise, your hands will thank you!
Please tag me on social media if you decide to try this project. Love seeing all your projects!
Leave A Reply!