Jackson is going to be Nacho Libre for Halloween this year and since he’s folically challenged, I was in need of a baby wig. From the beginning, I was pretty sure that a beanie would work as a skull cap but I had no idea what to use for hair. At one point, while at Hobby Lobby, I had brown curling ribbon, doll curls and yarn in my basket. Terrible options, I know, but I was running out of time, people! And then, as if by divine intervention, I saw a little girl running around with a pink boa…a boa…of course! So, there you have it. Jackson is ready for his Lucha Libre debut and in celebration, I’ve prepared a super easy tutorial on how to make a fluffy wig for a baby.
– cotton beanie
– dye (if your beanie needs it)
– hot glue gun
– bowl (about the size of your baby’s head)
1. Dye your beanie the color of your boa following the dye instructions. Make sure you wash it thoroughly!
2. After beanie has dried, stretch it over your bowl. You can place the bowl on a paint can or oatmeal box to raise it up and possibly save your back.
3. Apply a line of hot glue from the top of the beanie down to the rim of the hat.
4. Quickly affix a strip of the boa to the line of glue, pressing firmly to make sure it catches. Apply more glue if any piece of the boa isn’t attached.
5. Squeeze out another line of glue just to the side of your adhered boa strip.
6. Again, quickly press the boa into the glue line, this time working from the bottom up toward the top.
7. Continue steps 3-6 until your beanie is entirely covered by the boa.
8. Make sure all the glue is cool to touch, place on baby’s head and laugh until your sides hurt!
Notice: As always, be cautious when your child is wearing this and any costume.
Comments & Reviews
Flickr: elena-lu says
thats too too too toooooooooo cute!
seen and loved in:
the crafty thrifty frugal group
thank you for sharing!
Flickr: Dot D says
that is too funny! I just realized who you were and I friended you on flickr…
Genius!! You just saved me from probably and hour of walking around hobby lobby with a similar pile of options.
Vanessa Brady says
I’m so happy!