I love all things lemon and this sunshine tart has a lemon flavor that is out of this world! This vegan and grain-free tart is made with cashews; if you haven’t discovered baking with cashews you are totally missing out. Because of their creamier texture, cashews make great substitutions when making raw, vegan and grain-free dessert options. If you’re new to vegan deserts this is a great one to start with, its simple, tasty and super easy!
First start with soaking your cashews for at least 2 hours. This will help soften them and allow for a smooth tart filling. To make the crust, add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until dough forms. If you don’t have tart pans, don’t worry, grab some mason jar lids!
Now, let’s get back to your tart filling. Drain the cashews, add the cashews, water, lemon juice, coconut oil, maple syrup, turmeric and vanilla to a food processor and blend for 2 minutes or until a smooth liquid is achieved. Pour the liquid into a small pot and add the tapioca flour, place over medium heat and stir frequently for 5 minutes or until it slightly thickens. Remove from heat and pour into your cute little tart pan.
Place your tart in the oven for 20 minutes at 300 degrees. While your little tarts are cooking, whip up some coconut cream to top it off with. Once your tart is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool. If you’re like me and enjoy your tarts chilled, place it in the refrigerator for an hour prior to serving. Grab a fork and get ready to taste the sunshine!
Vegan Sunshine Tart
Yield 4 -5
- Sunshine Tart Crust
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Flour
- 2 tbls Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tbls Water
- Sunshine Tart Filling
- 1/2 cup Cashews
- 1/2 cup Water
- Juice 1.5 lemons
- 2 tbls Coconut Oil (melted)
- 3 tbls Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Tapioca Flour
- First, make sure to soak the cashews for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place all tart crust ingredients in a food processor and process until a nice dough forms.
- If using a mason jar lid as your tart pan, cut out a piece of parchment paper and line the bottom of the pan.
- lightly press the dough into the tart pan (aka mason jar lid) while working the dough up the rim.
- Set aside and prepare the tart filling.
- Drain cashews and add the remaining tart filling ingredients, minus the tapioca flour, to a high-speed blender. Blend for 2 minutes or until a smooth liquid is achieved.
- Pour the liquid into a small pot and add the tapioca flour. Place over medium heat and stir until the liquid slightly thickens, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into tart pans.
- Place the tarts into a preheated oven for 20 min.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool to the touch, lightly press the bottom of the mason jar lid to remove the tart from the rim. Refrigerate until ready to serve.