I’ve been so crazy busy since coming back from SNAP (more on that later!) that it completely slipped my mind that this weekend is Mother’s Day. Yay for moms! I am so extremely fortunate to have my mother be a integral part of my life and the lives of my children. She’s strong, kind, loving, and for as long as I can remember, is the queen of 30 minute meals!
Spaghetti is kinda my go-to meal when we’re just getting back from kung-fu, the kids are starving, and food needs to be on the table quick. I’m going to be honest with you. Sometime the sauce is made from scratch but most days, it’s straight out of a jar but after trying out this San Marzano Spaghetti recipe? Who knew it was so crazy easy to make a delicious and healthy sauce?!
I love creating intricate meals when I’ve got plenty of time or a special recipe in mind but on the whole, my everyday meals usually have around five ingredients and are thrown together in less than 30 minutes. Made with fresh veggies, canned San Marzano tomatoes, Whole Grain Barilla® spaghetti noodles (available at most grocery store, including Wal-Mart), this recipe is no exception!
The original recipe called for a pound of ground beef but since we’re vegetarians, I substituted with imitation protein strips. I love that while the noodles were cooking in one pot, all the other ingredients were being sauteed in another and were both done almost simultaneously. Perfect timing because I’ve got some hungry little
tigers boys to feed!
So, in honor of all the amazing and hard-working mothers out there (including my own), let me be the first to say, “Job well done!” You feed the stomachs and souls of all those around you with food, wisdom, and love. It’s a tough job and yet, you rise to the occasion every. single. time. From one mom to another, Happy Mother’s Day!
San Marzano Spaghetti - 30 Minute Meal
Super easy and nutritious meal that comes together in 30 minute!
- 1 box Barilla® Spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 stem celery, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef (or vegetable protein)
- 1/2 cup White wine (optional)
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano Tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved
- PLACE a pot of water to boil. MEANWHILE, in a large skillet, sauté the onion, carrot and celery with the extra virgin olive oil. ADD the meat and cook until browened well. INCORPORATE the tomatoes and 1 cup of water, season with salt and pepper to taste and bring to a simmer.
- COOK pasta in the boiling water according to the package directions. DRAIN pasta and toss with sauce. TOP with cheese.
- OPTIONAL: After the meat is browened, you can deglaze the sauce by adding the wine and let it reduce all the way.
Courses 30 Minute Meal
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Barilla. The opinions and text are all mine.