There’s a bit of a story behind these Harry Potter Bertie Bott’s Jellybeans Bookends. Last February I turned 40 and decided to do what any mature and responsible adult would do…go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! Makes perfect sense, right? The whole family had the most amazing time and still, months later, we constantly talk about our adventures there. One of my favorite places was Honeydukes where we splurged on Chocolate Frogs, Fizzing Whizzbees, and, of course, Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans! After we ate all the beans (even the booger-flavored ones!), I just couldn’t bring myself to throw away the boxes so I brought them home with the intention of crafting with them and that brings us to this tutorial. Now I have these Harry Potter Bertie Bott’s Jellybeans Bookends to always remind me of our amazing trip!
Check out more Happy Harry Potter tutorials at the end!
Harry Potter Bertie Bott’s Bookends
- Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans box (I got mine from Universal Studios but you can also order one from Amazon)
- Jelly Bean Beads (I used these glass ones but here’s a plastic alternative as well)
- Packing Tape
- Stones (backyard stones would work as well)
Step 1. Remove the plastic lining from the inside of the box. Don’t worry, the packing tape will look just like the real thing!
Step 2. Layout an 8″ strip of tape. Pour some “jelly beans” on one side and then fold over to encapsulate. If you’re able to, I highly suggest erring on the side “too many” than “not enough.” Having some of the beads overlapping and turned sideways will help with the authentic look later.
Step 3. Use another strip of tape and press the bead pack in the center of it.
Step 4. Press the beads in place on one of the open windows of the box.
Step 5. Continue until all the windows of the box are filled with jelly bean beads. Fill the rest of the box with stones.
Step 6. Once completely filled, close up the box.
Step 7. Repeat steps with a second box.
Step 8. Once you’ve got two Harry Potter Bookends completed, now you can put them to good use on your bookshelf!
I totally love how these came out! I considered using real jelly beans but didn’t want to risk an ant infestation on my bookcase. These glass jelly beans were a bit pricey so if you’re looking for a more inexpensive option, definitely check out the plastic versions I linked in the supply list above.
Now, every time I see these bookends, I’m going to remember just how awesome my 40th birthday was. Seriously, the memories I have of that day are some of my most favorite ever.
I hope you enjoy making these Harry Potter Bertie Bott’s Jellybeans Bookends out of what would normally just be thrown away. Hope they remind you of good times as well!
Want more awesome Harry Potter crafts?
Check out Rae Gun Ramblings Happy Harry Potter blog hop!
To kick things off this year’s I’ve got an awesome giveaway! One lucky winner will receive all the amazing things below! ENTER by using the widget below (or clicking here). To see all the new Harry Potter projects and find enter check here as they will be updated daily!
- $50 Amazon gift card perfect for picking out your own awesome Harry Potter swag or stocking up on craft supplies to make your own inspired by the great tutorials from the series!
- $50 Shop credit to spend on LuLaRoe with RaeGunRoe who will be having a special Harry Potter inspired event during the series!
- One Harry Potter Baby Costume or House Tie Necklace from RaeGun perfect for Halloween, or sporting to a vacation to the Wizarding world, or just for any old Tuesday!
- One Nerdifore from Giggles and Mischief (put to a $40) she makes the cutest Harry Potter inspired dresses for big girls as well as My Little Pony, Super Hero and other awesomely geeky options.
- Dumbledore and Harry Potter action figures!
- Other surprise Harry Potter swag!