Celebrate the beautiful holiday with this fun Día de Muertos Calaveras Wreath. Super easy to customize and make all your own!
The colorful and joyful imagery is one of my favorite parts of Día de Muertos. From bottle openers to underwear, ornate calaveras can be easily found on tons of merchandise. It’s important to remember that Día de Muertos is a culturally important day for many in the Latinx community.
Of course, you are more than welcome to celebrate this beautiful holiday but, please, give it the respect it deserves. And definitely don’t use it as a Halloween costume!
I’m super excited to be celebrating Fairfield Worlds Poly-Fil’s 80th birthday with 80 Days of Poly-Fil! You can check out tons of other fun projects on their social media channels as well as many other bloggers!
Dia Muertos Calaveras Wreath Tutorial
Día de Muertos Stuffed Calaveras Wreath
- 3 sheets White Oly*fun
- Poly-fil Stuffing
- scraps Iron-on Vinyl
- Cricut Digital Cutting Machine
- Rotary Blade
- EasyPress Mini
- Decorative Ribbon
- 10" Wire Wreath Form
- Free Calavera Skull Free SVG File (download below)
- Beacon Fabri-Tac
- Use the Cricut Rotary Blade to cut the skull shapes from the Oly*fun material. You can substitute felt for Oly*fun if needed.
- Use your Cricut to cut the decorative details from the Heat Transfer Vinyl. I used five different colors but the choice is up to you! Apply decorations to fabric calavera with Easy Press Mini. HINT: You're going to want to use the very lowest setting and a protective sheet to iron the vinyl onto the Oly*fun. Only apply the iron for a few seconds to prevent the material from melting.
- Apply a thin line of the Fabri-Tac around the edge of skull cut-out and glue the front and back together. Make sure to leave a small section open to stuff with Poly-fil and then seal shut with Fabri-Tac.
- Wrap the wreath form with decorative ribbon. Use Fabri-Tac or hot glue to adhere the stuffed calaveras in place.
- Make a large bow to attach to the bottom of the wreath. Enjoy!
Download the free svg file
Celebrating Día de Muertos
The way my family celebrates Día de Muertos has changed over the years but always includes bright decorations, calaveras (skulls), and an ofrenda (alter). The kids usually help me put up the ofrenda while we watch Book of Life or Coco. We drink Mexican Hot Chocolate and tell stories of loved ones that have passed.
It’s such a sweet holiday that reminds us of who we are, where we come from, and where we’re going. There may be a few tears remembering those we miss but there are also tons of laughs and smiles. And so many wonderful stories!
Hope you enjoy making this Dia Muertos Calaveras Wreath!
More Ideas for Day of the Dead
As I mentioned above, Día de Muertos is one of my favorite holidays to decorate and craft for. I’ve got tons of fun tutorials that are great for kids and adults alike! Here are some of my favorites:
- Calavera Masks
- Dia de los Muertos Tree
- Catrin Figurine DIY
- Dia de Los Muertos Tee & Blog Hop
- Calavera Coasters DIY
- Muertos Calavera Wreath
- Hot Glue Dia de Los Muertos Calavera Pin
- Dia de los Muertos Papel Picado Necklace
- Calavera Dia de los Muertos Stickers
Comments & Reviews
This is such a fun design! I am having trouble locating it in your library though.