Get all the details on Cricut’s newest machine with this Cricut Maker 3 review. We’ll cover all the new features, materials and accessories, as well as make an easy beginner’s project. Get ready for some Cricut fun!
This post contains affiliate links. I receive a small percentage of your purchase (at no cost to you!) through these links, which help me continue to offer original tutorials and free printables!
It’s no secret that Cricut has been dominating the crafting market for years. These machines have always been synonymous with versatility, but now Cricut is taking it to a whole new level!
The Cricut Maker 3 was released last month and promises to be the most versatile Cricut yet. This review will cover everything from what sets this machine apart from others, how it compares in price, and some quick tips on getting started with your project.
I don’t know about you all but the easiest way for me to learn about a new product or machine is to actually make a project with it. I put together a super easy beginner’s project to bring you a full, well-rounded review of the new Cricut Maker 3.
Whether for a kid, classmate, or family member, cake toppers are a fun way to add a personalized festive touch to even store-bought pastries. Unfortunately, I’m usually in quite a rush before a birthday party so being able to make these toppers easily and quickly is necessary.
Let’s see if the Cricut Maker 3 is up for the challenge!
Cricut Maker 3 Specs
Some of the specifications released by manufacturers include:
- Increased precision, speed, and power
- 2x faster than the original Maker when cutting Smart Materials
- 10x more force while it cuts 300 different materials
- Cuts Smart Materials up to 75 feet
- Has an additional USB port that can be used to charge tablets while in use!
Before you purchase the Cricut Maker 3, take a moment to consider if it is the right product for your needs:
1) What type of material do you plan on cutting? If you would like to cut all types of materials (including fabric, balsa wood, leather, chipboard, and more!), the Cricut Maker 3 is the machine for you!
2) Will you want to use the entire Cricut Tools line? The Cricut Maker 3 has access to a wide variety of tools. This includes:
- Fine-Point Blade
- Deep-Point Blade
- Pens & Markers
- Scoring Stylus
- Foil Transfer tool
- Bonded-Fabric Tool
- Rotary Blade
- Knife Blade
- Scoring Wheels (Single & Double)
- Engraving Tool
- Debossing Tool
- Wavy Blade
- Perforation Blade
The Cricut Maker 3 retails at $399.99 and can now be purchased HERE!
New Accessories and Materials
They have always been at the forefront of crafting, so it should come as no surprise that Cricut has released some new tools and materials for this machine.
- Cricut Smart Iron-On™ – Tons of colors available and no mat necessary!
- Cricut Smart Vinyl™ – Large variety of colors and comes in permanent or removable. Again, it can be cut without a mat!
- Cricut Smart Paper™ Sticker Cardstock – Everything you love about cardstock but now with an added adhesive backing for easy use.
- Cricut Roll Holder – Keeps vinyl organized and aligned. Super helpful for large projects!
Quick & Easy Beginner’s Project
Like I mentioned above, the easiest way for me to fully review the Cricut Maker 3 is to take it for a test run with this easy project, Birthday Cake & Cupcake Toppers. Cricut’s Smart Paper is a game-changer because there’s no need to pull out adhesive or glue. It makes creating these toppers a breeze!
To make these cute toppers all you have to do is:
- Start by downloading Cricut Design Space and open your favorite template or design! I love this “Happy Birthday” file that can be found HERE.
- Use the Offset tool to create the background. Duplicate and reverse the background shape. Select Cricut Maker from your Cricut machine menu and load Smart Paper (without a mat!)
- Cut out shapes, peel from backing, and assemble with a wood skewer in-between. No additional glue necessary!
- Repeat steps for smaller cupcake toppers.
Attach toppers to either store-bought or homemade cake and cupcakes. And that’s it! Super simple, right? Now you can show off your Cricut skills and wow the kids at party time!
The Cricut Maker 3 is the latest and greatest in home crafting machines, making it easier than ever for beginners to get started. With its ability to cut through materials of all thicknesses, this machine can handle anything from delicate fabrics to thicker items like leather or vinyl.
I wasn’t sure how much I was going to like using Smart Materials but honestly, not having to use a mat is my favorite feature! No worries if you don’t want to purchase all new supplies, you can still use previously bought materials with a mat on the Maker 3. The amount of time and money saved on Smart Materials makes the Cricut Maker 3 a worthy purchase!
So, what party are you planning on making your next cake topper for? Comment below to let us know. We love seeing and sharing your amazing creations!