This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience and to assist in the maintenance of this blog.
Can anyone ever have too many tote bags? Especially super cute ones with glitter?! I think not. Although it’s a great gift for any age, this Valentine’s Day Tote Bag (originally written for Crafts Unleashed) is great to make for or with the tween girls in your life.
A fun project that won’t make your 12 year old roll her eyes? Total score, right? I’m not sure if the young people are still using the term “Totes” for “totally” but even if it’s somewhat out of fashion, it’s Valentine’s Day…you’re suppose to be cheesy!
Valentine’s Day Tote Bag & Printable Tag
– White Cotton Tote Bag
– Martha Stewart Crafts™ Punch All Over the Page™ – Heart or Cutting Machine
– Fabric Paint or Acrylic Paint with Fabric Medium
– Freezer Paper
– “You’re Totes Awesome!” gift tag
– Baker’s Twine
1. Use a heart punch to cut out approximately 100 hearts out of the freezer paper (you may need more or less with different sized bags). Alternately, you can use a cutting machine (I love my Silhouette!) to cut out all the hearts as well.
2. On a low temperature setting, iron the first heart in the center at the top of the bag.
3. Continue positioning each heart, off-setting each row. (See picture below)
4. Apply a thin layer of fabric paint to the exposed bag. I’d suggest applying multiple thin layers instead of one super heavy layer of paint to prevent the color from soaking through to the other side.
5. Continue to apply paint until exposed fabric is covered completely. Allow to dry.
6. Once the paint has dried, you can begin to remove the freezer paper hearts. It’s fun to see your pattern emerging!
7. Optional: Optional: Depending on the look you want to achieve, you can go in and hand paint a few of the hearts. I’m kinda crazy about gold glitter right now so I went the gold/matte gray route but I’d love to see this with gray and bright pink too!
8. If you’re planning on giving your Valentine’s Day Tote Bag as a gift, feel free to print and attach the free “You’re Totes Awesome!” gift tag.
And there you have it! The perfect Valentine’s Day gift for the teen or tween in your life!
Don’t forget to check out my other fun Valentine’s Day projects:
“Thumb-Body Loves You!” Sweetheart Thumbtacks
I Love Everything Coloring Print“We’re Better Together!” Valentine’s Day Card
Homemade Apple Sauce Valentine
Valentine’s Day Toilet Paper Roll Heart Stamp
Honey Strawberry Sugar Scrub
Homemade Magic Shell
Comments & Reviews
keri @ shaken together says
I totes love this, Vanessa! A true labor love but worth it! Pinned!
[email protected] The Better Half says
love this!!! can you send me one? 😉
Alexis @ Persia Lou says
I pretty much love everything you do. This is so great! And I have no idea if “totes” is still cool, but I would totes love to get that gift for Valentine’s Day. Pinned for sure.
Very cute idea. I would like to do a pillow instead.
Quick question…does the glitter flake off the bag and get sparkles on everything?
I don’t want it all over my sofa?.
Also, just for my interest…what makes the freezer paper adhere to the fabric?
This is so incredibly cute! Found you from Debbie’s party. I love this – pinning!