Do you love getting holiday cards in the mail? I know I do! I don’t get as many cards anymore, but I always think of new ways to hang Christmas cards. That’s why I made this Merry Mail Christmas card holder! It’s super easy to make and looks great with all the festive holiday cards pinned in place. Perfect to make for yourself or as a Christmas gift for a friend!
History of Greeting Cards
The tradition of holiday greeting cards has roots in ancient China, where families exchanged goodwill messages during the New Year. However, the modern concept began in 19th century England when Sir Henry Cole created the first Christmas card in 1843.
Commercial production took off with advancements in printing technology, making cards more affordable. The trend spread to the United States, where the industry flourished. Today, traditional or digital holiday cards remain a cherished tradition, evolving with technology to convey festive wishes and maintain connections during the holiday season.
How to download the free svg file
If you’re already a Tried & True Creative Library member, you can use the password you received in the welcome email to log in immediately. Are you still waiting to be a member? No worries! Enter your information in the box below, and we’ll send it to you.
How to Make the Merry Mail Christmas Card Holder
Making the Merry Mail Christmas Card Holder is easy if you follow these directions. You’ll be able to find the majority of the supplies either at your local craft store or online. You can also watch a video tutorial below!
- Unfinished Pallet Wood Sign
- Cricut™ Machine
- Red & Black Heat Transfer Vinyl
- Everlasting White Chalk Paint
- Red & White Baker’s Twine
- Mini Clothespins
- “Merry Mail” Free SVG File
Apply a few solid coats of white chalk paint to the front and edges of the wood pallet sign. I like using chalk paint on wood when applying heat-transfer vinyl. The texture works well with the vinyl adhesive. Allow the paint to dry completely before applying the vinyl.
Cut the free “Merry Mail” SVG file using a cutting machine. Once cut, place the vinyl design centered at the top of the painted sign and iron in place.
Wrap baker’s twine around the front of the sign and use hot glue to affix it in place on the back. There is no need to wrap entirely around the back. Just wait until the hot glue is completely dry, and then return the string in the direction you came from.
Now that the strings are in place, you can attach small paper clips. Your Merry Mail Christmas card holder is ready to display all the festive holiday cards you get this year!
Watch the Video Tutorial
Other Ways to Use Free SVG
You can use the “Merry Mail” free SVG file in various creative ways to add a festive touch to your holiday projects. Here are some ideas for using the Merry Mail SVG file:
- Holiday Cards – Create personalized holiday cards by incorporating the Merry Mail SVG design. Add the festive graphic to the front of the card, and you can customize the inside with your messages or greetings.
- Envelope Seals – Use the SVG file to create festive envelope seals. Print or cut the design to fit onto envelope flaps, adding a cheerful touch to your holiday mail.
- Gift Tags – Resize the Merry Mail SVG to fit smaller dimensions and use it as a decorative element for gift tags. Attach the tags to your presents to make them look even more special.
- Home Decor – Print or cut the Merry Mail design and use it to create holiday-themed home decor. Frame the design for wall art or incorporate it into festive banners or garlands.
- DIY Ornaments – Resize the SVG file to fit the dimensions of the ornaments. Cut the design from vinyl or paper and apply it to ornaments for a custom and festive look.
- Holiday T-Shirts – Transfer the Merry Mail design onto a plain t-shirt using heat transfer vinyl or fabric paint. A fun way to add a touch of holiday spirit to your wardrobe!
- Scrapbooking – Include the Merry Mail design in your holiday-themed scrapbooking projects. It can be used as a decorative element on pages or as a focal point for a particular memory.
- Stickers and Label – Print the design onto sticker paper or use it to create custom labels for holiday gifts, envelopes, or even homemade treats.
Have fun getting creative with the Merry Mail design and adding a festive touch to your holiday celebrations!
I hope you enjoyed our easy ways to hang Christmas cards! It’s going to look so great with all your other holiday decor. Don’t be surprised if you have friends and family members asking you to make one for them, too!