I’m just going to give the disclaimer right now. If you’re looking for a low-calorie hot chocolate recipe…this is not the one for you. If, however, you’re looking for a super special treat on a cold day for your friends and family or maybe just for yourself. You’ve come to the right spot!
I really don’t even want to calculate the number of calories in this sucker. I mean, I’m not drinking this every day so does it really matter? Anyway, I’m a firm believer in Michael Pollan‘s Food Rule: you can eat all the fast food you make yourself. I was totally tempted to just pick up a hot chocolate at Starbucks but came home and made this instead. Even if the calories are through the roof, at least I know where all the ingredients came from!
Easy Delicious Hot Chocolate & Whipped Cream
(adapted from Food Network and Allrecipes)
– 2 cups vanilla almond milk
– 2 cups half and half
– 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place the bowl you will be using for the whipped cream in the freezer to chill.
2. Warm the milk and half and half in a medium sized pot.
3. Add chocolate and continuously stir until melted. (Mine didn’t melt all the way but it was absolutely lovely having little pieces of solid chocolate floating in my drink!)
4. Pour heavy cream, vanilla, and sugar in chilled bowl and whip on medium until peaks form.
5. Pour hot chocolate into mugs with a dollop (or two!) of whipped cream.
Hope you enjoy every single delicious and decadent drop!
Comments & Reviews
Jessi @ Practically Functional says
Yum, this looks amazing! Hot chocolate is my favorite. 🙂 Pinning this, and I included it in my roundup of warm, delicious fall drinks that went up today! http://practicallyfunctional.com/11-warm-delicious-fall-drinks/