We’re kinda crazy about churros in our house. Deep fried dough covered in sugar? What’s not to love! I rarely make them (on account of our arteries and all) but thought they would be a “sweet” treat for Valentine’s Day so I converted a recipe to include a few healthier ingredients. My boys gobbled them up so fast, I don’t think the other ingredients were missed!
Making this churro batter is pretty straightforward and basic. I substituted MELT® Organic Rich & Creamy for the butter in this recipe and it worked like a dream! It’s made with the perfect blend of fruit and plant based oils, is certified organic and non-gmo, and contains absolutely no hydrogenated oils or artificial ingredients. And it totally tastes like butter! It works perfect spread over a slice of bread or baked into your recipes. Click here to find MELT® Organic at a store near you.
The other substitutions I made in the recipe were using gluten free flour (instead of all purpose) and frying in coconut oil (instead of vegetable). My son has had some medical complications recently that have led us to cutting out as much gluten as possible so he was thrilled that he was finally able to enjoy churros again! Of course, you can totally make this recipe without any of my substitutions and they’ll taste just as great.
Also, I feel like I should come clean about the cute heart shapes I made with my churros. They were a huge pain in the butt! If you decide to try making heart-shaped churros, I suggest you work one shape at a time and fry in a minimal amount of coconut oil. It helps if the batter touches the bottom of the pan a bit, instead of floating around everywhere. Don’t worry if you decide to just make the classic straight churro stick, it’ll taste just as good!
- ½ Cup Butter or Melt Organic
- 1 Cup Water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Cup Gluten Free Flour
- 3 Eggs beaten
- Coconut Oil for frying
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Cinnamon optional
- Combine butter, water, and salt over high heat in large pan until butter is completely melted.
- Gradually stir in flour.
- Reduce heat to low and continue stirring until batter forms a ball.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in beaten eggs.
- Transfer to large pastry bag with star tip.
- Heat oil in a large pan with high walls (I used a wok) until about 350°
- Pipe a small amount of batter straight into the oil and fry on both sides for about two minutes each.
- Remove when golden brown on both sides and transfer to a paper towel covered plate to absorb the oil.
- Pour sugar (and optional cinnamon) onto a shallow plate and dip slightly cooled churros to cover.
MELT® Organic is a line of luscious, organic spreads made from healthy oils for butter lovers seeking a much healthier alternative, available in Rich & Creamy (original), Honey, and NEW Chocolate.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of MELT Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.