I don’t know about you guys but I am constantly on the search for toys to entertain my kids while we’re eating at restaurants. Don’t get me wrong, my kids are pretty chilled out and easy-going but in the end, they’re just kids and it’d be unfair for me to expect them to sit quietly at the table without something fun to play with.This Mini Travel Playset is a total hit! It’s small enough for them to carry but the little world inside is large enough for them to be entertained while their parents actually get five minutes to enjoy their meal. Amazing, right? Read more to get the full tutorial!
Travel Playset for Kids
- Unfinished Wood Cigar Box
- Craft Paint
- Zig Squeeze & Roll Jumbo Glue
- Toob Figurines
- Purse Handle Frame & Clamps
- Diorama Trees
- Baker’s Twine
- Mini Nails
1. First things first, you’re going to have to decide on what kind of travel playset you want to make. I went with dinosaurs because my boys are crazy about them but there are tons of Toob figurines you could choose from! You could make a little cityscape with the Cars Toob set or even a mini forest with the Jungle Animals Toobs. Go with a theme that will entertain your kids at a restaurant while you stuff your face in peace. 😀
2. Depending on if you want your travel set to stay open or not, tie a piece of baker’s twine around two of the mini nails and lightly hammer into place in one of the corners. Trim with wire cutters if the nail sticks out at all.
3. Use an awl to punch holes into the bottom of the cigar box where you want the trees to go. I ended up punching 4 or 5 holes so that the kids could move their trees around. I also had to trim the ends of the tree a bit.
4. Cut the construction or scrapbook paper in the shape of land forms and glue in place. This is where our playsets might be a bit different, depending on the figurines you get. Feel free to print out images if you don’t want to draw or cut out your own shapes.