This post contains affiliate links. I receive a small percentage of your purchase (at no cost to you!) through these links which helps me continue to offer original tutorials and free printables!
Ever since the boys were babies, bath time has always been a really important part of our daily schedule. Sure, it’s essential that we clean behind their ears and between their toes but even more than that, the bath tub seems to be one of the few places where technology and adult responsibilities can’t interfere and we are 100% focused on having fun with our kids!
Bath Tub Classroom
Now that the boys are older, we love incorporating science experiments into their bath. One of their favorites right now is this Fizzing Bath Dough! I’ve got to admit, it’s really fun pressing it into our plastic dino skeletons and watching it disintegrate in the water (“I’m meeeeeltiiiiing!”) We’ve even started talking with my six year old about the chemical reactions taking place between the citric acid and baking soda (carbon dioxide bubbles) when added to water and he’s absolutely fascinated. Learning while having fun in the bath = Awesome!
Fizzing Bath Dough
- 1 tbsp Baby Oil (We’ve been enjoying this one on Amazon)
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid (can be found in the canning section of most grocery stores)
- 1-2 drops food coloring (optional)
1. Mix the baby oil and baking soda in a bowl, it should have a dough-like consistency.
2. Add citric acid to dough and combine thoroughly. Depending on your location humidity and natural variations in materials, you might have to play around with the amounts. Your dough should be just moist enough to stick together but not so much so that it sticks to your hands. Add small amounts of either oil or baking soda to make the mixture either more moist or dry.
3. (Optional) Add 1-2 drops of food coloring for extra fun.
Common Sense Disclaimer: Do not allow your children to eat the Fizzing Bath Dough. Keep in mind that due to the oil, your bathtub will be very slippery during and after the bath. Please assist children in getting out of the tub and wipe down thoroughly before using again!
So Much More
Of course, bathtime is never just about getting clean! This Fizzing Bath Dough supports the fact that bath time is a multi-sensorial experience that offers parents and their children opportunities to connect and bond. From the scent of the soap and the texture of bubbles, to the songs we sing and the post-bath cuddle, bath time is just as much about learning as it is about cleaning!
Fizzing Bath Dough Safety
Hope you and your kids enjoy playing with this Fizzing Bath Dough! Please keep in mind that because of the baby oil used in this recipe, your bathtub is going to be super super slippery. Do not let your kids stand up without assistance and make sure to wipe down with soap after the water has drained. Have fun but be safe!